by Nicole Martin
What is an affirmation? Simply stated, affirmations are consciously controlled thoughts. Affirmations are strong, positive statements that you intentionally think or say out loud. They are extremely helpful when your typical stream of worries and topic-hopping thoughts could rival any goldfish. During the holiday season, our minds tend to go wild.
Affirmations can also be very powerful on the human psyche. When used regularly, they help to rewire our brain towards positive thinking and help battle negative emotions and thoughts.
The holiday season is a great time to start practicing affirmations. While we all want to be blissful and joyous during this time of year, the reality is that we are ferociously finishing our shopping lists, cleaning our houses and preparing for holiday dinners, and are often left feeling exhausted and stressed. The power of positive words and thoughts can help negate some of these holiday emotions.
Try reading through some of the affirmations below; say each sentence out loud (it’s ok, you can go hide in the bathroom) and see how your mindset shifts towards joy. Several slow, deep breaths only strengthen your experience and will help you to reach true peace and happiness.
- When your To-Do List feels overwhelming: “I breathe in and out, knowing that what I need to get done, will get done.”
- When you feel obligated to go to every holiday party and function: “I have the power to choose how I spend my time during the holidays.”
- When you feel burnt out: “It’s okay to practice self-care and to rest, relax and recharge.”
- When you are anxious about intrusive questions “I release all holiday stress and expectations of what I think that I should be. I allow myself to be me.”
- When you are worried about holiday spending: “Money comes to me easily and unexpectedly. “
Feel free to tweak the wording in these statements so that they are even more meaningful for you. Remember, positive thinking is like exercise – the more you practice, the stronger you’ll become at leveraging these statements in the thick of a stressful moment.
May you find moments of serenity during the holiday season! Cheers!
Nicole Martin is a personal development coach who empowers moms to live their best life possible! After achieving what she believed was an ideal life, Nicole recognized that she still was not fulfilled, and set off on a DIY personal development journey. Now, she brings her life & career experiences, intuition, and a nurturing energy to other moms who are looking for “more” (don’t worry, she’ll help you define what that is!) Find Nicole at www.wellandguidedmoms.com and on Instagram.